Theatre Français opens on St. Catherine east of St. Lawrence
(Odeon) 1905 name changes to Billy Moore's Lyceum
* 1905 Sharh Bernhardt performs there.
* 1920 The Loew's chain in New York (Now Loew's Cineplex) renovates and renames it Loew's Court
* 1924 it is rename back to Français
* 1960 policy changes to French movies
* 1970 name changes to Eros, shows pornos
* 1981 Closes.
* 1986 Reopens as Club Metropolis (a nightclub)
Motion Pictures are first shown in Canada for the first time at the Palace Theatre at 972 St. Lawrence at Viger.
The Midway opens on St. Lawrence below St. Catherine, It later became
the Eve in
1971 and burned in 1994.
The Colonial opens on St. Catherine west next to the Place.
* 1915 renamed Connaught.
* 1920 renamed Regal.
* 1932 renamed Cinema de Paris. (Not to be confused with Cinema de Paris at the corner of Mansfield.
* 1941 renamed Newsreel.
* 1943 renamed Victory.
* 1945 renamed back to Cinema de Paris.
* 1960 closes as a cinema. It is now Club Supersexe
Confederation Amusements opens the Laurier Palace at Ste. Catherine
east at Prefonaine.
It burned in 1927 killing 77 mostly kids. For the next 40 years kids less than 16 were not allowed in cinemas in Quebec.
Dec. 7 1912
The Strand opens at 912 St. Catherine west.
* 1968 renamed as Pigalle and with the Midi-Minuit became the first porno theatres in Canada.
* 1973 Demolished by Famous Players to make way for an office complex called Centre Capitol.
The Imperial Theatre opens on Bleury St. north of St. Catherine.
* 1934 The Imperial was rented to Leo Ernest Ouimet.
* 1936 RKO Radio Pictures sells it to Consolidated Theatres.
* 1950 The Imperial was renovated.
* 1954 The Imperial was renovated for Cinerama.
* 1970 It is sold to Cinema International Ltee.
* 1974 renamed as Cine Centre
* 1975 Split into two cinemas.
* 1976 Renamed Imperial.
* 1980 United Theatres (Part of Famous Players) buys it back.
* 1981 The Imperial is restored and reopens with "Raiders of the Lost Ark"
* 1986 The Imperial became the first cinema in Quebec to receive THX certification.
* 1995 Famous Players donated it to the Montreal film festival.
March 4 1916
The St. Denis is opened just north of St. Catherine east.
* 1972 two small cinemas, Pierrot and Chevalier are added next to St. Denis.
* 1979 Stopped showing movies
* 1997 Cineplex Odeon opens the Quartier Latin 17 next to the St. Denis
The St. Denis has been with France-Film.
November 19, 1917
Montreal's Grandest movie palace opens as a vaudeville house at 952 St. Catherine west.
* Feb. 1940 Vaudeville policy ends with "Gone With the Wind"
* 1975 Closes after the last showing of "Jaws"
* December 1976 Reopens with five screens with cinema one in the orchestra, cinema three in the balcony, cinema two over the orchestra, cinema four and five in the backstage area. The Opening Movie is "King Kong" in all five cinemas, French in Cinema 1 and Italian in Screen 3.
* Oct 1999 Closed and sold to Club Med.
It is part of the Famous Players chain.
April 16, 1921
The Papineau Theatre is opened at the corner of Mount Royal.
* about 1940 a new marquee is installed
* 1977 The Papineau is twinned and started a porno policy.
* 1982 Brief name change to Cinema X
* 1987 The Papineau is bought by Germain Cadieux and reopens as a repertory cinema.
* 1988 Closed.
May 20, 1921
The Allen opens at 698 St. Catherine west
* Spring 1922 the Allen is bought by Famous Players for $19,000 and renames it the Palace.
* Sept 1 1928 The first Talking picture opens at the Palace.
* 1935 Renovated.
* October 1953 The Palace shows the first wide-screen movie "The Robe" in CinemaScope
Prices were $.75 in the mornings, $1 for matinees and $1.50 evenings, the ad reads
"CinemaScope the modern miracle you see without glasses"
* July 1980 Closed and gutted.
* 1981 Reopens with six modern cinemas.
* 1995 The Palace becomes a discount house.
* Oct 1999 Notice at the entrance asking for approval for conversion into a parking Garage
* Jan 2000 Closes.
HAVE A LOOK AT THE PALACE GALLERY.
December 18, 1926
* The Rivoli opens on St-Denis at Belanger.
* 1974 Split into two screens
* 1982 Closed and gutted.
It has been with the United Theatre chain.
The Empress Theatre Opens at 5560 Sherbrooke west at Old Orchard.
* May 19 1928 Official opening.
* 1959 Confederated Amusement is bought out by United Theatres.
* 1962 Stopped showing movies and it became the Cabaret called the Royal Follies
* 1968 Plained down and divided along the balcony and became the Cinema V
* 1974 Briefly changes it name to The Home of Blue Movies.
* 1975 Policy changes to repertory and became the Montreal home of the cult classic "The Rocky Horror Picture Show".
* 1988 Famous Players buys it.
* 1992 Fire closes it down, never to reopen.
March 22 1929
The Seville Opens on Ste. Catherine west near the Forum.
* 1950 Renovated.
* April 1965 "The Sound of Music" plays for 2 years.
* 1975 Sold by United Theatres
* 1984 Shut down by 139387 Canada Inc. and left to crumble.
Confederated Amusements Opens the Outremount.
* 1971 The Outremount starts an Repertory policy
* 1987 The Outremount is mothballed.
* 2002 Reopened as a performing arts centre, some movies are still shown.